As we transition into fall and enjoy the cool weather ahead, we know that winter is just around the corner here in the Yampa Valley. We rely on our cars to take us to all of the outdoor adventures that are available year round. With winter weather, it's especially important to keep your car running smoothly.
Here are some tips for winter maintenance and safety:
1. Consider swapping out to winter specific tires. Winter tires are made of compounds to remain pliable in the cold and have specific tread patterns to give you better grip in cold and snowy weather. Make an appointment with our service team to have them installed. If you need them, talk to one of our parts experts.
2. Check your tire pressure regularly. When tire pressure goes down, it can affect wear and traction. Most every car has tire pressure monitors so pay attention to it.
3. Keep your fuel tank at least half full in the event of an emergency or if you get stuck in the snow and have to wait for rescue.
4. Be prepared! Make yourself a winter driving kit with items like a small shovel, flashlight, basic tools, jumper cables, a phone charger, nonperishable food, blankets and drinking water.
5. Be familiar with your car's safety systems. Most cars have traction and stability control. The newest cars even have blind spot monitors, collision mitigation and lane keep assist systems. Know how these systems work so that you're not surprised when they activate or are searching for buttons when you're driving.
6. Maintain your car for winter. Schedule service at one of our locations for regular maintenance and inspection of important items like your battery, tires, lights, wipers, etc.